The Hairdresser of Paldi

Back in '05 or '06, during character design class, we were given an assignment to find a real person of our liking and transform him/her into an animated character.


I set off to hunt for mine, and zeroed in on a hairdresser in the neighbourhood, who I shall refer to as T. He was an earnest young man who idolised Jawed Habib, and whose dream was to one day style movie stars (specifically Priyanka Chopra.)


He was a distinctive-looking fellow - tall, fair, lanky and with streaks of blonde lining his carefully messed-up hair. His preferred outfits were slim-fit long-sleeve shirts worn over jeans or trousers, all in black, his favourite colour. As a character, I depicted him realistically as far as the physical appearance was concerned:









But his goody-goody personality didn't go down well with me. So I added a few whimsies of my own.








Finally I made a set of drawings depicting him as a sort of local hero, caught up in various situations.











The last one is my favourite.